Antoinette Matlins, PG, FGA
Antoinette Matlins is an internationally respected gem and jewelry expert, author, and lecturer whose expertise is sought worldwide by clients who retain her to seek fine, rare, or unusual gems and jewels for acquisition.
She has written many books that have helped people—both consumers and professionals—increase their understanding and enjoyment of jewelry and gems. Her books include:
- Jewelry & Gem—The Buying Guide: How to Buy Diamonds, Pearls, Colored Gemstones, Gold & Jewelry with Confidence and Knowledge (The first and only book of its kind ever offered by Consumer Reports—now available worldwide in many languages.)
- Engagement & Wedding Rings: The Definitive Buying Guide for People in Love
- Gem Identification Made Easy: A Hands-On Guide to More Confident Buying and Selling
- The Pearl Book: The Definitive Buying GuideHow to Select, Buy, Care for & Enjoy Pearls
- Colored Gemstones: The Antoinette Matlins Buying Guide—How to Select, Buy, Care for & Enjoy Sapphires, Emeralds, Rubies and Other Colored Gemstones with Confidence and Knowledge
- Diamonds: The Antoinette Matlins Buying Guide—How to Select, Buy, Care for & Enjoy Diamonds with Confidence and Knowledge
- Jewelry & Gems at Auction: The Definitive Guide to Buying & Selling at the Auction House & on Internet Auction Sites
She is also the author of the “Gemstones” section of the Encyclopedia of Investments. Gemology editor for National Jeweler magazine for a decade, her articles and comments appear in consumer magazines such as Vogue, the Robb Report, Bride’s, Business Week, Forbes, US News & World Report, Condé Nast Traveller, Smart Money, and First.
Antoinette Matlins spearheaded the nationwide campaign against gemstone investment telemarketing scams and has gained wide recognition as a dedicated and effective consumer advocate. A popular media guest, she is seen educating consumers and exposing fraud on shows such as ABC’s Good Morning America, CBS This Morning, NBC’s Today, CNN’s Daywatch and World Report, Oprah, Inside Edition, and CNBC’s Power Lunch.
In addition to her work with private clients, Ms. Matlins provides consulting services to companies in the gem field, including mining companies, jewelry firms, and trade organizations. She has also served as an expert witness for the United States Attorney’s Office and for plaintiffs and defendants in matters dealing with fraud and misrepresentation involving gems and jewelry.
Ms. Matlins has developed an extensive international network of gem dealers, master metalsmiths, designers, and other resources for her work. Through this network, and working with collectors and investors, she enables clients to acquire unusual pieces, and to make their acquisitions with confidence—and at costs significantly below retail.
Based in Vermont, Ms. Matlins travels the world extensively, advising individuals and companies on buying and selling gems and jewelry. With her exceptional understanding of gemstones and in-depth knowledge of all aspects of the jewelry business, she assists clients with locating everything from an engagement ring to a rare period jewel, from an exceptional natural fancy-color diamond to an unusual carved cabochon or the rarest of fine gems. She also manages the design and creation of equally unusual jewelry for these gemstones.
You may learn more about Ms. Matlins, her services and experience by visiting her website, www.antoinettematlins.com.